What Is EECP?
The EECP procedure is a non-invasive, outpatient treatment that can relieve or eliminate angina. When you have angina, your body is telling you that your heart is not receiving enough oxygen.
A treatment, in harmony with your heart, can improve circulation to your heart muscle. EECP treatment appears to stimulate the opening of new, natural pathways around the blocked arteries.
After EECP treatment you may find that:
- You can walk farther, carry heavier packages, and be more active without having angina.
- You have fewer attacks of angina.
- You episodes of angina are less intense.
- You need less anti-anginal medication.
- You can return to work, go out to dinner, garden, travel, or enjoy golf, tennis, or bowling once again.
- You no longer have to restrict your social life, volunteer activities, or exercise because you are worried that they will cause angina.
Determining if You Are a Candidate for Treatment?
You may be a candidate for EECP treatment if:
- You have angina.
- Nitroglycerin does not provide adequate relief from your angina.
- You have been told that you are not a candidate for bypass surgery or angioplasty.
- You underwent bypass surgery or angioplasty in the past, and angina has returned.
- You want to explore all treatment options.
Specific instructions will be explained to you by your EECP therapist. Please ask your therapist any questions that you may have.
We ask that you follow these steps prior to treatment:
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Take all medications as instructed.
- Don't eat (except medication) or drink within 1-1.5 hours before treatment.
- Choose clothing that's easy to change:
- Stretch pants, provided by us, should be worn to reduce the possibility of skin irritation.
- Men and women should wear form-fitting underwear.
- Wear a loose, comfortable top with an open neck.
- Wear short socks.
- You may bring music (CD player or tape player with earphones) or something to read.
- A friend or relative may stay with you during your treatment.
Some patients have experienced minor skin irritation due to pressure of the cuffs. Please consult with us if you have any concerns.
Back To Top
Medical Facts about EECP
This article provides the medical background behind the treatment. It also lists the medical statistics that indicate the benefits of EECP procedure.
International EECP Patient Registry
If you want to know more about the procedure or you would like to speak with people who went through it, this is the site to visit. The site is well-organized and provides a set of publications on the topic as well as access to EECP bulletin boards.
EECP Medical Policy
If you have Empire BlueCross BlueShield and want to know more about the criteria used by medical community to determine if a patient is an EECP candidate, visit this site. It present a frequently reviewed medical policy on the subject. Please check with your own insurance for comparable policy document.